Skip to main content

You Get What You Pay For

Recently, I have seen many articles floating around social media sites claiming that competitive youth sports are not worth the steep prices and excessive hours that you must dedicate to them in order to truly succeed. Of course, included in this list was competitive gymnastics, dance, and cheerleading. While I understand that at times families must dedicate a lot of time and resources to these activities, I completely disagree with the statement that it is not worth it.

As a dancer growing up, I learned the following invaluable traits and lessons:
  • Discipline
  • Patience
  • Humility
  • Sometimes you don't get everything you feel you deserve
  • You shouldn't give up when things get hard, you should push harder
  • You are your own best advocate
  • True satisfaction from becoming a better athlete and person
  • Treat others, especially your superiors, with genuine respect
  • Use your failures to motivate you, instead of discourage you
  • Envy is your worst enemy 
These lessons translated into everything I did, from school to my job, I never "marked" anything and truly never settled. Despite facing many obstacles, I constantly looked for opportunities to improve. In return, I received an almost a full scholarship for academics in college, in addition to the scholarship I received from being a member of the Dance Team. Now, I am able to pursue my education and help pay for it by doing what I am passionate about. In May, I will be walking to receive my undergraduate degree in Marketing as a student athlete, a member of Beta Gamma Sigma, a member of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars, and with the highest honors of Summa Cum Laude. I have also had a part-time job and internship throughout my four years as a college student.

If it weren't for countless hours spend as a studio rat, I would not be who I am today. I will argue that you cannot put a price tag on teaching your children how to genuinely be good people, and certainly every penny spent on dance is an investment in your child's future. I genuinely believe children should be allowed to develop their own identities and learn how advocates for themselves. Growing up a competitive athlete was the best thing that has ever happened to me, and has shaped my pattern of successful behaviors. I thank my parents every day for allowing me, and even sometimes forcing me, to stick with dance even when it became overwhelming and tough. I understanding that every individual's experience with competitive sports is different, and every family has a different financial situation. However, I detest the idea that competitive, youth sports are not "worth it."

If you would like to read an article of the opposing view, click this link.

Comments

  1. I loved this post! I too was a dancer growing up and I have found that it has benefited me throughout my life and had such a positive impact on me! I also feel that it is important that children have an outlet to express themselves and hope that my future children love dance as much as I do!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Reactions

While we as instructors are so passionate about seeing our dancers improve, it is important to sometimes take our experiences with a grain of salt. From excuses like "I didn't have time", or "my Mom didn't tell me," we have heard them all. This article , is full of dance teacher reactions that we are all-too familiar with. 

Harvard Law Dancers

In this awesome piece of news, renowned director of the Martha Graham Dance Company, Janet Eilber, teaches Harvard Law students an excerpt of "Lamentation". After teaching choreography to the students of law, she continued to inform them about copyright and other legal issues in the dance world. If you would like to see this this awesome article, click on this link.

The Secret Message

Is there a secret message to make all your dancers turn like Sophia Lucia? Sorry, I don't think so. However, reminders that build muscle memory are the key to having consistently strong turners. Below are bullet points to remind your dancers of every class as to what to think of while turning. One of my favorite tactics is asking my class what they need to think about while they are turning. My dancers will raise their hands and we won't stop until all of the bullet points have been checked off. High relevé Straight supporting knee High passé Shoulders down (out) Strong spot (spot your own eyeballs or a point in the room) Strong arms (like holding oranges under your armpits) Utilizing your closing arm In second turns, turning out both your supporting leg and your working leg Closing into a high, strong croisé and not swinging your leg Leading with your heel and not gripping your turnout muscles Not dropping your heel too hard in second turns or fouettes Pulling